How Can We Make Apps More User-Friendly When Traveling?

Flor Mirjam

Email Verified
Hey everyone,

I’ve been thinking about how useful apps are while traveling, but at the same time, I find myself frustrated with how complicated some of them can be. Don’t get me wrong, I love using my phone to navigate, check out local spots, or just keep track of my itinerary, but sometimes I feel like the apps are overcomplicating things for no reason. Why can’t more apps just focus on what really matters instead of cramming in so many features?

Let me give you an example: I recently came across a web-based Qibla finder that I used while traveling, and it worked surprisingly well. It was straightforward and did exactly what I needed – no more, no less. The tool helped me find the Qibla from my location(القبلة من موقعي) by using my phone’s GPS, so I didn’t have to figure it out manually or guess. It was actually really helpful because it provided accurate directions to the Qibla no matter where I was. I was actually inspired by how it kept things simple while still being useful. It wasn’t bloated with unnecessary features, and I could access it easily from my phone without having to download anything. I’m starting to think this approach could be applied to other types of travel tools.

This got me thinking about why other apps don’t follow this kind of design. A lot of travel apps seem to add tons of features that I don’t necessarily need. When I’m in a new city or country, I just want something that works fast, is easy to understand, and doesn’t require me to switch between apps constantly. But instead, I often end up using one app for navigation, another for translation, a third to keep track of my schedule, and so on. It gets tiring quickly, and I’m sure others have experienced this too.

Another problem I’ve noticed is that many apps don’t function well when there’s no internet connection. This is a big issue when traveling in places with poor or no cell service. Some features just stop working altogether, like when maps won’t load or apps freeze up because they’re waiting for a signal. It’s frustrating because, when traveling, you’re often in places where you can’t always rely on having strong internet.

I guess what I’m really asking is: Why aren’t more apps focusing on the user experience for travelers who need fast, simple, and reliable tools, even offline? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this. Has anyone else found any apps that really nail this balance? What’s been your experience with apps while on the go?

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks for reading!

October 2024

Total amount
$164.45
Goal
$400.00
Donation ends:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webcheap9